DORADesignated Outdoor Refreshment Area
What is a DORA?
A Designated Outdoor Refreshment Area (DORA) is a space which allows patrons over the age of 21 to consume alcoholic beverages from an approved, liquor-permitted business. Newark’s DORA allows establishments to have outdoor dining and alcohol service in a public right-of-away abutting their property without the need for fencing or barriers.
Newark also hosts Sip and Stroll events in which these establishments can serve alcohol and patrons can walk around the DORA District. To participate in the Sip and Stroll events, patrons must wear a wristband which can be picked up from any of the participating establishments. Sip and Stroll events can be found on the event calendar.
Sip & Strolls
May through October 2023
Every Thursday, Friday & Saturday
Sip & Strolls
On designated days, Newark will host Sip & Strolls where patrons can purchase alcoholic beverages from participating locations and walk around Downtown. The maps below shows participating locations and the DORA perimeter for Sip & Stroll events. Please check our events calendar for upcoming Sip & Stroll dates.
By participating in Sip and Stroll events, you agree to abide by all the following DORA Rules:
- Stay within the boundaries identified by DORA signs. DORA signs will be clearly identified.
- In order to walk around the area, you must have an alcoholic beverage purchased from a DORA establishment in a DORA cup marked with a color sticker identifying an approved establishment. If you are outside of the marked area, you are in violation and could be fined.
- A patron is required to wear a wrist band provided by an approved establishment. The establishment will card for proof of age and place the band on the person’s wrist. In order to Sip and Stroll, the patron is required to have a wrist band.
- A DORA cups are single use only.
- A patron cannot carry a drink from one establishment into another establishment.